The Basilica of Ballsh where Boris, the Bulgarian Tsar was Baptized

Melsi Labi

Abstract


The Basilica of Ballsh was the most important center of the late Antiquity and of the Middle Ages in the Episcopate of Gllavenica. The Basilica was a monastery church, which time after time was expanded with auxiliary facilities. The basilica was first built in the 6th century and it had 2 phases of reconstruction, in the 11th century and in 12th century. Gllavenica is mentioned during the first Norman disembarkation in the Albanian coast during the end of the 9th century. During the second Norman campaign of the years 1107-1108, the Norman noble Robert de Monteforte was killed in Gllavenica. Even while retaining the title of Duke, he was promptly buried and on his grave was placed the column of stone on which the inscription of the return of King Boris to Christianity was inscribed.

Keywords: Basilica of Ballsh, Episcopate of Gllavenica, Epitaph of Gllavenica, Robert de Monteforte, King Boris.


Full Text:

PDF


DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.0001/(aj).v5i9.1023

DOI (PDF): http://dx.doi.org/10.0001/(aj).v5i9.1023.g1257

Copyright © 2012-2020 ANGLISTICUM. Journal of the Association-Institute for English Language and American Studies,Tetovo, Republic of North Macedonia.

All Rights Reserved.

The publication is licensed under a Creative Commons License (CC BY) https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/  View Legal Code                                                                                                                 

ISSN (print): 1857-8179. ISSN (online): 1857-8187.

Disclaimer: Articles on Anglisticum have been reviewed and authenticated by the Authors before sending for the publication.

The Journal, Editors and the editorial board are not entitled or liable to either justify or responsible for inaccurate and misleading data if any. It is the sole responsibility of the Author concerned.